I literally can't get enough of this delicious seasonal pasta dish and you won't be able to either!
One of the joys of the changing of the seasons is being able to start eating all those incredible root veggies, and butternut squash is one of my absolute favourites.
Perfect for Halloween or any time during autumn, I've combined it with herbs, mushrooms and cheese for the ultimate comfort food supper as the nights draw in.
PREP & COOKING TIME: 45 minutes
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 small leek, trimmed and finely sliced
- 300g butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 400g fresh Rigatoni pasta (or any shape of pasta you fancy!)
- 200g Ricotta cheese
- 1 packet/triangle of Parmesan cheese
- Handful of sage leaves
- Handful of wild mushrooms, cleaned and roughly torn
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat about a tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan and add the garlic, leek and butternut squash. Cook for 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally, and then add splashes of water and continue stirring, cooking the squash (for around 20-25 mins) or until the squash is cooked and you can begin to mash it a little.
- Turn the heat down to low and gradually stir in the Ricotta. Season to taste.
- In another smaller frying pan add a drizzle of oil, once hot add the mushrooms and cook for 5-10 minutes or until golden. Stir in the sage leaves and let them crisp up for a few minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to one side.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to packet instructions, draining but making sure to reserve a good cupful of the pasta water.
- Mix the pasta into the butternut squash sauce loosening with the pasta water if needed.
- Grate in lots of Parmesan, stir in most of the mushrooms (keeping a few for garnish) and serve with an extra grating of Parmesan on top.
- To finish, drizzle with a good lug of extra virgin oil and sprinkle with the reserved sage leaves and golden mushrooms - enjoy!
P.S. If you're looking for some Halloween table styling inspiration, check out our full Halloween story here.