I don't believe a classic chicken caesar salad has to be complicated or take hours. My quick and easy version is bursting with flavour and colour, but I use a pre-bought rotisserie chicken to save hassle and time - and this one's ready in under 30 minutes!
PREP TIME: 20 MINS
- 1 x rotisserie roast chicken
- 2 x baby gem lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 x medium eggs
- Extra parmesan, shaved
- 10g chives, finely chopped
- 100g Greek yoghurt
- 1 x garlic clove, crushed
- 1 x lemon
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 40g parmesan, grated
- 2 x anchovy fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Start by making the crispy chickpeas. After draining and rinsing your chickpeas, use kitchen paper to pat them dry – trying to ensure you get all the excess moisture off.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the chickpeas and paprika. Toast and fry them in the pan until they are crispy and golden. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place a pan of water on to boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Soft boil the eggs for 6-7 minutes, and then immediately plunge them into a bowl of iced water. Allow the eggs to cool and then carefully peel them from their shells and cut into quarters for later.
- Now it's time to whizz up the dressing. In a high-speed blender or food processor add all the dressing ingredients and blitz until smooth. Taste and season with lots of black pepper and just a little salt (the parmesan and anchovys will add quite a lot of saltiness already).
- Take the rotisserie chicken and shred the meat off the bones – you can use as much or as little as you like in this salad.
- Now you are ready to assemble the actual salad. Arrange the baby gem leaves on a serving platter, then add the chicken and scatter over the crispy chickpeas.
- Drizzle over the dressing, top with some parmesan shavings, the pieces of soft-boiled eggs, and the finely chopped chives.
Serve as the perfect summer lunch dish, or as a yummy side - enjoy!
P.S. For more delicious salads just like this one, check out our full Alfresco Table Story.